
I have never been the most athletic. In high school while most of my friends were running track and playing basketball my sport of choice was cheerleading. While some might argue that cheerleading is a sport...my kind of cheerleading, sans tumbling and with minimal jumping, mainly consisted of prancing around looking cute. See pix inset*. I will admit that it didn't really take THAT MUCH skill to be a cheerleader at Hermleigh High School.
Anyway, after Landry was born I gradually became an athlete. It started with a jazzercise class and progressed from there. Around that same time my brother was in the police academy and I also developed an interest in law enforcement. I started to run. Slowly. EVER so slowly. While I panted and gasped and my body hurt I would tell myself that this wouldn't even COMPARE to what he was going through...and that kept me going. Within a year I was running four miles a day. I was a lean mean exercising machine. For the first time in my life I was buff. For the first time in my life I actually didn't despise my body. I actually begin to relish the feeling of being sweaty and exhausted BEFORE I started my day.
Then I got divorced and moved out of town. It was pretty difficult to run anywhere with a 2 1/2 year old in tow. I had no one to watch him or help me so I gradually stopped altogether. Oh, I walked here and there and even attempted a few health clubs etc....but nothing stuck.
And here I am today....old, fat, out of shape. DON'T TELL ME I'M NOT CAUSE I AM AND I KNOW IT SO DON'T EVEN BOTHER. DON'T PATRONIZE ME. I have kind of been having the itch to run again for awhile but figured I would keel over in a hurry due to my, um, occasional smoking habit. But now, since I pretty much have that licked I have no excuses.
I ran Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Today....not that far...not that fast...but slow and steady wins the race right? Rounding a corner this morning in the half-light... I had a feeling. I kind of felt like I had found an old friend.
*DISCLAIMER: Please view picture with caution. Viewing crimped hair and winged bangs can cause 80's flashbacks.
.jpg)
3 comments:
That is great that you are running again - I have never been and may possibly never be a runner. I just dont like to hurt that much. I did do my TURBO JAM workout video Sunday and today though! Yea me!
I'm proud of you! That takes alot of will power and determination....or just some good ol' OCD! Either way it is great exercise.
I've always said I think they should teach kids to run in PE in elementary school. Running does not come naturally to lots of people but if they were taught the proper way to run ... just a thought. As you can tell, I've never been a runner but I wish I was.
Post a Comment