I knew Wednesday morning was going to turn out bad when they didn't give me the teddy bear vacuum blanket....
Last month when I had surgery they gave me the coolest thing called a bairpaw. It was like a hospital gown but it had specially fitted holes that attached to a vacuum hose where warm heat blew into your gown. It was awesome. Here is the website. http://www.bairpaws.com/arizanthealthcare/bp.shtml If you are in any form or fashion in the medical industry you should know that the bairpaw is top notch!!
On Wednesday morning I didnt get one and things went down from there. Last time I had surgery I was the only one in the "holding area" waiting to go into my surgery. This time there were a zillion people in there and they were all looking at me as I lay shivering on my cot. The man right next to me was all warm and cozy in his bairpaw gown by the way!! NOT FAIR. Last time they knew it was my first surgery and they were all super nice to me and even gave me a nice pill to "relax" before hand. It worked so well that I don't even remember anything at all about even going to the OR. This time they just left me naked and shivering in a room full of staring rude people until they wheeled me in. I was thinking OMG THEY FORGOT TO PUT ME UNDER!! It was like 20 degrees in there and they kept putting this useless crappy blankets on me that didn't do a thing. Last time I had surgery I had pain pills that kept me kind of warm and fuzzy that I took every four hours. This time they gave me the morphine pump (which you would think would be better). It would have been great if it hadn't turned out that Demerol does absolutely nothing for me. I spent the entire day punching that button over and over and over and getting to the point where I could hardly speak and my head was loling about with my tongue hanging out of my mouth but I still had 100% pain and was helpless to do anything about it.
Also they gave me a mean nurse who was just horrible. Finally Wes and my mom convinced her to give me a different kind of medicine and it worked which really seemed to piss her off. She took her anger at being proven wrong out on me in other ways. She took my catheder OUT (big celebration) and then had to put it back IN (the opposite of big celebration) and she pressed extra hard on my stomach while scanning my bladder and Wes heard her say that I "JUST DIDN"T LIKE THE WAY THEY DID THINGS AROUND THERE". I know she will grow horns and be the ruler over a special section of hell one day.
We requested a different nurse too and finally things got turned around. My first day was so bad that I got off on a slow start of getting better. I am just exhausted. My body is really sore like I have been beaten on the inside and I haven't been able to eat anything. All that said though I guess that the surgery went ok. I don't have any cuts that you can see because they did it vaginally and I am not bleeding at all. I got lots of pretty flowers and visitors who I charmed the pants off of drooling and crossing my eyes . I finally got to come home today at around 1:30. It felt so good to lay in my own bed and pee in my own potty and not have to measure how much came out. Oh and I almost forgot. Right about going home time they discovered that my heart was beating irregularly and wanted to send me off for an EKG!! Whaaaaaa???? I talked them out of it but have to go in on Monday to have one. I just couldn't take one more thing!! I also bet 100 million dollars that my heart was beating like that because I o.d'd on useless drugs the day before.
I am going to need lots of rest. This was way more than I had prepared myself for in my brain.
I hope this post isn't too confusing I am still a little groggy.
Friday, June 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
3 comments:
I'm glad you made it home to your own warm blankets. Sorry you got the nurse from hell, though. I'll talk to you soon!
glad to hear that you are home--sorry about the nurse, also. take it easy:-)
I am a friend of Shauna's and I started reading your blog about a week ago. I wanted you to know that I prayed for you on Wednesday morning & have been wondering about you! I'm glad you're home where you can control the temperature!!! You're still in my thoughts!
Post a Comment