Monday, September 25, 2006

I would do anything....

You know how you will do anything, ANYTHING, to keep your child from feeling pain or going through something that will make them sad?? This morning I went in to wake Landry up and noticed that his fish Genghis was acting very strangley. He was floating on top of the bowl.

I ran over and shook him a little and he was still alive but appeared to have lost the ability to stay upright in the water. He would try and then he would end up floating to the top again.

I cleaned his bowl last night and noticed that there was some kind of weird film floating on the surface of the water. All I could think of was that there was maybe something wrong with the water I put in his bowl so I jumped in the car half dressed and flew to the Town and Country to get a new bottle of distilled water. I drove home like a maniac and transplanted him to a new bowl with fresh water but he looked like he was dying when we left.

There was no way to hide it from Landry and replace him with another fish because Landry religiously feeds him everymorning. (Dang that responsible kid!!)

Anyway, I had to leave him gasping for air and flipflopping around on the top of his bowl. I don't hold out much hope that he will be alive when we get home.

Landry will be sad. He loves his fish. I hate it when Landry is sad. I love my kid. I wish I could save him from all of life's little disappointments.

UPDATE: 9:30 am and I have been reading up on sick Betta fish. The amount of information is staggering. Apparently we have been doing EVERYTHING wrong. Did you know for example that Bettas can die when they get too cold? It was probably around 72 degrees in our house this morning and that is too cold! Also did you know that a plastic plant can shred their fins? We have a plastic plant. Also is said that distilled water lacks electrolytes that they need and that is what the dumb guy at Petco told me to use. PISSES ME OFF. I sent Wes home to try and warm the fish and to put a little salt in his bowl. That is supposed to help somehow. Wes is so sweet he didn't even complain, much.

Blah. I am sad. I wish if he was going to die he would just go ahead..I feel like he is suffering! I can't really think of any kind of humane way to put him down though. Sheez.

I have so much work to do and this is all I can think about.

2 comments:

robin said...

Poor fish! Poor Landry! He needs 5 fish now Mom! :)

Shauna said...

You mean you wouldn't consider a toilet humane????? HMMM....I am sure that the fish - of whom it would be nice to know his name - will survive this - he sounds like a trooper! he is in my prayers tonight!