Sunday, December 09, 2007

oh Little Christmas Tree


I don't really like holiday decorations. I know...bah humbug. I don't know why I am like that but I am. Mostly its because our house is already teeny tiny enough and there is just no room to do it properly. It is also because I am insanely obsessively opposed to clutter and it seems cluttery to me to have holiday stuff everywhere. What I really don't understand is why some people are possessed to put giant blow up grinches and merry-go-rounds in their front yards. I just don't get it what is the point?

Anyway we put up our Christmas tree. Much better than in past years when I get it up like a day before Christmas or not at all. I know...shameful. We didn't put up a big normal tree but a little bitty tree. In fact, I have a rich friend who lives in a fabulous house and I noticed that she had several of the same trees grouped on her front porch last Christmas. So maybe our tree is really supposed to be a porch tree but I am using it for an inside tree. It is little and skinny and cute. Although I was dreading the mess, Landry and I had fun getting out all our decorations and overloading it. Our decorations all have meaning or came from someplace we went and it is fun to get them out and remember all that stuff. There are a few that should not remembered or commemorate people (husbands) I would rather forget so they will go in the trash this year.

Speaking of husbands, Wes found several little decorations in his storage that Rachel likes to have in her room at Christmas so we put those up too for her. Funny thing. She has this snow globe and the snow inexplicably turned black and the water gets all cloudy when you shake it. I told Wes it looks like a sandstorm in Lamesa. If you are a true West Texan you will know what I mean and you will know that this is not a festive sight at all! If you aren't from West Texas I have attached a picture so you will understand. Now imagine this with a little plastic Santa and his elves trying to find their way around inside of it. I have plans to trash the Lamesa Sand globe and find a new one tomorrow.

Wes has to go out of town :( and he cooked us a farewell supper of Steak Fingers, mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn. It was really good. I will miss him dearly but it is necessary for him to leave for a week so I can diet enough to fit in my dress for his company Christmas party. It is not really possible to diet with my husband around because he is such a good cook and he loves to feed me. He thinks I look cute with cake smeared on my forehead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I finally figured out this year - how long did that take me - that I don't like Christmas clutter either. Decorations are okay. By clutter I mean packages, sacks, boxes, wrapping paper, etc. There is no reason to put it away because I'll need it tomorrow. But I feel better if I put it away. Then my house returns to normal and I'm happy. Weird huh?