Friday, June 09, 2006

Crocs Birks and Gurks

Has everyone seen the Croc shoes that are EVERYWHERE? I am trying to understand them. I have been hearing everyone rave about how comfortable they are and they come in every color imaginable. Maybe its because Wes’s ex wife wears them with everything from jeans to workout clothes or maybe its because my friend Paige said they look like "shoes for the mentally retarded"…but I have been a little hesitant to embrace the Croc trend. However I think they are starting to grow on me. I have a history with ugly shoes. I think it goes back to when I was traumatized in jr. high because my mom would only buy me one yellow pair of the plastic jelly shoes that everyone had. She thought they were ugly and a fad (which they were) but everyone else had about 22 pairs and how expensive could they really have been? Really!?? They were sold out of bins at the Piggly Wiggly.
I have a thing for Birkenstocks. Melissa likes to refer to them as "the ugly shoes that lesbians wear". As a disclaimer I must add that there are only select styles of Birkenstocks that are cute. Some are downright orthopedic looking and those I wouldn’t touch with a 10 foot pole much less my pretty piggies. I probably can’t take total credit but they are becoming quiet popular around San Angelo and even in Christoval where pre-LaRae I’m pretty sure most people wouldn’t have known a Birkenstock if it hit them in the eye. A bunch of our teachers and staff are wearing them now so I will at least take partial credit for the Birkenstock rage. I currently own approximately 30 pairs of cute,cute, Birkenstock sandals. They are comfy and I think they set you apart from the crowd a little bit. And while (no I don’t smoke pot), I still perceive myself as sort of a hippie chick with a little glamour mixed in. I can wax poetic about my Birkis all day long. They are quite simply the best, funkiest, coolest shoes in the world.
I also have an affinity for cute tennis shoes, preferably Nikes. I have a pink and gray pair, a black and hot pink pair and a bright orange pair. I also have a lime green and gray, a yellow and black, and a gray and red pair that aren’t Nike but still pretty cool. There is just something about comfy colorful kicks that make me smile all over.
On the other end of the spectrum are uncomfortable shoes which I have zero. I do not own one pair of pumps or really any high heels. I do not own even one pair of shoes that would be suitable for a business meeting or any professional situation or a funeral. I have a couple of wedgie sandals but I am in extreme danger of snapping my ankle in two when I wear them so I avoid it if at all possible. I just don’t get the concept of high heels. If my feet hurt I get very grumpy. If I trip and fall in public due to my shoes I get very grumpy. If (God forbid) I get a blister marring my perfect pedicure then that really pisses me off. Some specific times come to mind when I was forced to wear heels, like my first wedding, and they are just not very good memories. Winter shoes also pretty much fall into the uncomfortable category. I do have several pairs of them because it is a necessary evil but they are all some shade of brown or black and do not have a mood-elevating effect on me at all. They are just shoes. Good for protecting your feet from sharp objects, staving of frost bite, and necessary when fleeing a dangerous situation but they just don’t do it for me.
While camping I came across a pair of shoes on a lady in the restroom that just might be my next obsession. Ugly…check. Comfortable….yet to be determined I haven’t gotten any yet. Hippi-ish…check. I will post some pictures as soon as I get some.

No comments: