
Landry had to do an art project. In standard form he had already done it last week. By "already done it" I mean scribbling something out in crayon on lined notebook paper. It was supposed to be a Still Life and he didn't even use real objects to look at...he just drew an imaginary Candle and a few other things.
Not-so-Good.
His teacher sent it back and told him to redo it on nice paper. I decided this was a good opportunity to cultivate some knowledge in my child so we went to Hobby Lobby and bought supplies. $26.87 later (ok, well I did buy one teeny tiny little picture frame) we had a set of acrylic paints, a set of brushes, and a nice sketch book. Not kid stuff...real art supplies.
So we went home and got to work. I explained to him what a Still Life IS...helped him choose something to draw, and gave him some pointers. As a side note: one of the hardest things for me as a parent is to not just take everything over and do it. I am such a perfectionist it is hard for me to relinquish control and let him do things, knowing he might fail. Anyway, I did manage to let him do it. I helped him mix some colors and gave some guidance but he made the most beautiful painting! He and I were SO PROUD. The title of this painting is "Bowl of Apples on Green Table". When he gets it back I am going to have it framed at Hobby Lobby and hang it in my kitchen.
What a cool kid I have.
P.S. I just received an email from Landry's Art teacher about his painting:
From: Diane Deatherage
Date: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 08:50:19
To: larae.fulton@netxv.net
Subject: RE: Landry's art project
Yes, I saw it . He did a super job on this project. I am very proud of him. I was going to hang it out in the hallway with the others, but if you rather I didn’t , I won’t . Let me know , and I will tell him in class this afternoon. Landry’s picture is SUPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it so much.
Thanks, Diane
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment